28, Thistle, Guze Pesci Str, Iklin, IKL 1421, Malta
Ph.D, University of Malta
Concentrations: Gen Z, Espoused Theology, Practical Theology
Working title: Developing a Pastoral Language for the Gaming Maltese Gen Z: A Practical Theology approach
Dissertation Advisors: Prof. Nadia Delicata, Ph.D., Rev. Prof. Peter Phillips, Ph.D.
M.A., Digital Theology, Durham University, 2020
Concentrations: Gaming, Theology
Dissertation: Death in Fortnite: A theological exploration of Fortnite’s representation of death and its perceived effect on youths in Malta
Dissertation Advisor: Rev. Prof. Peter Phillips, Ph.D.
M.Sc., Informatics, University at Malta, 2017
Concentrations: Geographic Information Systems, Location Based Services
Dissertation: The development of a Geographic Information System for traffic route planning using Location Based Services
Dissertation Advisors: Prof. Maria Attard, Ph.D., Joseph Vella, Ph.D.
S.Th.B, Theology, University of Malta, 2018
B.A. (Hons), Theology with Subsidiary Area: Philosophy, University of Malta, 2015
B.Sc., Business and Computing, University of Malta, 2005
Seminar moderator, University at Durham, UK, 2020
Courses: Digitally Mediated Christianity, Digital Theology
Degree: MA Digital Theology
Seminar moderator, Spurgeon’s College / Liverpool Hope University, UK, 2021
Courses: Digital Mediated Christianity
Degree: MA Digital Theology
Visiting lecturer, University of Malta, 2021
Courses: Youths in a Digital Culture
Degree: MA Youth Ministry
International Researcher, Churches Online in Times of Corona (CONTOC), 2020 –
As part of an international research network, my task is to analyse the Maltese data and then compare them with the rest of the network. This international and ecumenical survey envisages to learn more about what has moved ministers and priests during COVID, what role digital forms of communication in particular have played in their pastoral and parish practice, and what opportunities and challenges they have discovered for the Church as a result of this crisis.
Intern / Part-time Research Officer, Discern Research Institute, 2021 –
Currently involved in two projects with the research institute of the Archdiocese. We are currently researching the understanding of parish priests and laypeople of the Ecclesia, and how COVID-19 is reshaping their theological imaginary. In the second project, we are researching the relationships between political ideologies, voting patterns, and theological understandings of Maltese youths.
- Pulis, Matthew, Charlo Camilleri, and Tero Massa. ‘A SPIRITUAL Artificial General Intelligence?’ Melita Theologica 71, no. 2 (2021): 65–94, In Print.
- Pulis, Matthew. ‘An Embodied vs a Silicon-Based Priesthood: AIs Can Never Be Catholic Priests’. Academia Letters, 17 March 2021. https://doi.org/10.20935/al579.
- Pulis, Matthew. ‘Death and Dying in Games: A Catholic Theological Engagement of Bosman’s Typology of Narratological Embeddings of Player’s Death’. Academia Letters, 2021, submitted.
- Pulis, Matthew. ‘Digitally Mediated Rosary’. In Hybrid Church : Blending Online and Offline Community, edited by Peter Phillips. Grove Books, 2020.
- Pulis, Matthew. ‘Death in Fortnite: Fortnite’s Theological Representation of Death and Its Perceived Effect on Youths in Malta’. Theology and Ministry, no. 7 (2020).
- Pulis, Matthew. ‘Gaming as an Essential Part of the Catechetical Framework: Addressing Gen-Z’s Needs’. Knisja 2000 31, no. 130 (2019): 69–79.
- Attard, Jean Claude, Matthew Pulis, Jean Gove, Peter Ellul, and Bernard Micallef, eds. A Human Journey: Multidisciplinary Perspectives on the Role of the Catholic Church in Malta. Għaqda Studenti tat-Teoloġija, 2018.
- Calleja, Carlo, and Matthew Pulis. ‘The Beauty of Sexuality: A Gift and a Challenge’. In SEX 360°: The Multidisciplinary Approach to Sexuality. Valletta, 2015.
- Pulis, Matthew. ‘Digital-Salvation as a Gift: A Catholic Understanding of Digital-Salvation in Contrast to Kurzweilian Transhumanism’. Melita Theologica, submitted.
- Cox-Darling, Joanne, Matthew Pulis, and Bryony Tyler. ‘Meeting God Online? Learning from Ministry in Lockdown’. Online: Premier Digital, 2020.
- Park, Heidi, Matthew Pulis, and Henk de Roest. ‘Reconstructing Pastoral Identity in Community During the Coronacrisis’. In CONTOC International Meeting, edited by Thomas Schlag. Online: CONTOC, 2021.
- Pulis, Matthew. ‘Digital Confessions: A Possibility?’ In Early Career Conference in Catholic Theology and Catholic Studies, edited by Paul D Murray and Karen Kilby. Durham: Centre for Catholic Studies, 2021, upcoming.
- Pulis, Matthew. ‘Malta during COVID-19’. In Premier Digital Conference 2020, edited by Kevin Bennett, Peter Phillips, and Jonas Kurlberg. Online: Premier Digital, 2020.
- Pulis, Matthew, Steffen Eckhardt, Jurgen Deniffel, Heidi Park, Theo Pleizier, Ilona Nord, Luke Buhagiar, et al. ‘The Pastoral Role in COVID-19 Times’. In CONTOC International Meeting, edited by Thomas Schlag. Online: CONTOC, 2021.
UNREFEREED PUBLICATIONS / COMMISSIONED REPORTS
- Feb 2020 – Internal report on NEWSBOOK.COM.MT’s mission in view of the Pastoral Plan of the Diocese – Commissioned by Beacon Group Board of Directors, Malta
- GlObal NEtwork for Digital Theology (GONE Digital)
- Churches Online in Times of Corona (CONTOC) International Network
- Nov. 2019 – AI: Too Good? What’s Bad? How Ugly? – Panel member. Organised by the Malta Humanist Association, Malta
- Sep. 2020 – The Gaming/Digital Generation Z – Delivered to TECH.MT steering committee (Malta’s Government steering committee for technology)
- Nov. 2020 – Min huma uliedna? (Who are our children?) – Delivered to the parents of St. Augustine’s College, Malta
- Mar. 2021 – A new generation: education and pastoral challenges – Delivered to the academic staff of St. Augustine’s College, Malta
- May 2021 – A new generation: delving deeper – Delivered to the Senior Management Team of St. Augustine’s College, Malta
- May 2021 – Gaming as a new culture – Panel member as part of the Ripple: Plug & Play series organised by the Malta Catholic Youth Network, Malta
- May 2021 – Knisja Diġitali (Digital Church) – Delivered to the College of Parish Priests, Malta
- Regular blogger on RETHINK.MT – A project by the Archdiocese of Malta to digitally engage our culture – https://rethink.mt/author/matthew-pulis/
- “Born to Play” – Gaming and Religion (Universe of Faith, 2021) – https://universeoffaith.org/born-to-play-gaming-and-religion/
- What is Artificial Intelligence? – Myths, Robots, Ethics (Universe of Faith, 2020) – https://universeoffaith.org/what-is-artificial-intelligence-myths-robots-ethics/
- Malta’s hidden plague of misinformation (Times of Malta, 2019) – https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/maltas-hidden-plague-of-misinformation-matthew-pulis.755662
- An open letter to Silvio Schembri in response to the National AI strategy (co-authored, Times of Malta, 2018) – https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/an-open-letter-to-silvio-schembri-christopher-bugeja-and-others.695079
Artificial Intelligence; Cultural Theology; Digital Anthropology; Digital Mediated Christianity; Digital Theology; Four Voices of Theology; Gaming; Gaming and Theology; Gaming Studies; Generation Z; Maltese Generation Z; Pastoral Theology; Practical Theological Method; Practical Theology; Social Shaping of Technology; Theology and Culture; Theology of the Peoples; Youth Studies; Youths Culture; Youths Theology
- Programming ability in PHP and .NET
- Fluent in Italian and Spanish